Don’t like the physical look of traditional braces but need teeth straightening? That’s not a big deal. With either Invisalign or clear braces, you have an option that is inconspicuous and effective at the same time. But are these treatment options the same? Invisalign is a form of clear braces but not exactly clear braces plus its teeth straightening technique is distinct. Each one of these treatments has bonuses and thumb downs.
Compared to metal braces, these two options qualify as less visible and are cosmetically appealing to those who need a not- pronounced treatment. For most patients, self-confidence is critical, which is why they prefer a treatment option that is less noticeable so that people looking at them will only see the dramatic change in their smile without knowing what is behind it.
That said, let’s begin with clear braces.
How do clear braces work?
The teeth-straightening method is the same with both clear braces and metal braces. What makes them different is the former is made from clear plastic, which offers it some form of invisibility. The brackets in metal braces are attached to the individual tooth. These brackets are encircled with tiny rubber bands linked with a metal wire. The rubber band ensures the archwire does not move off the brackets. When it is time for your orthodontist appointment, they will adjust the linking wire so that it exerts sufficient pressure on the bracket enough to shift your teeth gradually into their natural position.
Clear braces have a procedure similar to traditional braces because they are made from clear materials. The brackets for clear braces are designed with porcelain, not metal. And they are fine-tuned to look like the color of your natural teeth. As for the elastic band, it is also of a clear color. Even the archwires are whitish to give the braces a clear appearance that wouldn’t stand out. Though the brackets are made of porcelain and are non-porous by design, little stains can collect on them with time. Again, the elastic can turn yellow, but they can be replaced with clear ones when you visit your orthodontist.
Very complex cases, including extreme crossbite, underbites, and overbites, can be effectively corrected using clear braces at our clinic.
How does Invisalign treatment work?
The method of Invisalign is nothing like that of metal braces. This is because brackets and wires are not involved at all. Rather, Invisalign comes with a series of clear plastic aligners customized for individual teeth. These trays or aligners sit comfortably around each tooth and are replaced with new sets successively at 14 days intervals. With the change of aligners, your teeth move to become straighter. By appearance, a mouthguard and Invisalign are similar only because the trays are about the same size as your teeth. Patients can remove Invisalign. This feature allows for ease of brushing and flossing the teeth. Of course, you can remove your aligners to drink and eat.
Treatment begins with taking a digital copy of your teeth. With Align Technology, it is easy for us to produce a semblance of your teeth digitally. That’s not all. This tech produces a digital picture of what your treatment will look like from start to finish. Based on that, you can see the outcome of your teeth movement before the beginning of the treatment. Most importantly, each set of aligners is designed for each stage of your teeth movement, which is why aligners are changed every two weeks.
Using the digital model gotten from your teeth, a treatment plan is developed and sent to Invisalign, where the aligners are designed accordingly. After making the trays, Invisalign sends them back to us, and you can come to pick them up to start your treatment.
Please keep in mind that your teeth – actually, some of them may be prepped before fitting the aligners. This involves adhering some kind of material known as attachments or bumps onto your teeth so the trays can hold on firmly. Not to worry, the attachments are designed with composite to resemble your natural teeth.
Comparing clear braces to Invisalign using their perks and drawbacks
- A more permanent fit is what clear braces offer. This means you don’t get to take them off till you’re done with treatment. But for Invisalign, you can remove them to eat, drink and clean your teeth. And you should ensure you wear your aligners for 22 hours a day. Where you are finding it hard to commit to this wearing time, you may not achieve results from Invisalign when expected, and there are chances the aligners may be redesigned, which will set you back by some pounds. Clear braces are great for some teenagers as they tend to forget about the discipline attached to Invisalign use.
- One can practice good oral hygiene with “removable” Invisalign than with clear braces which are fixed. When you have clear braces, you need to put more effort to keep your teeth clean and plaque-free, as the brackets and wires can encourage food particles to hide and lead to bacteria growth. Our orthodontist will take you through the regimen of cleaning braces-bonded teeth so that cavities can be kept at bay.
- You are not allowed to eat anything you like when you’re wearing clear braces – the same condition that comes with metal braces. This list of foods to avoid is hard and sticky foods; whatever will put your braces at risk of damage is discouraged. Because you remove Invisalign to eat, you are not limited to some foods, but you must brush after each meal.
- Invisalign is flexible enough to allow wearers to eat whatever they like, but care must be taken not to drink anything else than water while with your trays in your mouth. This is important to discourage acid and sugar from sweetened drinks to get stuck between your aligners and teeth, leading to bacteria growth.
- Since you have to remove your trays to eat and drink, there is a chance that you might mistakenly throw them away. Please get an Invisalign case to store away your trays when they are not inside your mouth to avoid this costly error.
- Each time you remove your aligners, don’t fail to clean them thoroughly. Also, clean your teeth. Wearing clean aligners on unclean teeth will cause dental problems you would not be proud of.
- Invisalign aligners bring on a small irritation to the mouth, and their time of adjustment is short-term.
- Certain complex cases cannot be fixed by Invisalign.
- Usually, clear braces are less expensive than Invisalign.
- Those who use clear braces have to visit the orthodontist more times than Invisalign users. It’s required you go see the orthodontist to have your braces adjusted. In the case of Invisalign, you will be given a series of aligners, and when the time is right for a switch, you just have to remove the one you are wearing and pop in the new one. Be that as it may, your orthodontist still needs to monitor your treatment, so you must visit them for checks.
Consult a Braces provider
Here at London Braces, both Invisalign treatment and clear braces are available for the patients that need them. Consultation for people who want braces is always free. If you have questions, the team of friendly staff is ever ready to provide answers and guide you to choose the best treatment option.
Patients get examined and x-rayed to determine what option is right. All your possible treatment options will be discussed, including the cost of treatment and answers to any questions you’ve got. This is to give you a better understanding of how everything works. Do you have insurance cover? London Braces can work with it. Even financing options are available to help you get treated as much as possible.
The details you need will be provided – all of it, so you can be guided when it comes to dental health matters.
Do you have to pay for all these? No. They are all complimentary services that come at no cost or obligation.